Scoliosis is a specific type of physical condition where your backbone curves abnormally. Human spine has a particular curve, but when you see someone from the front, it seemed straight. But, if you have scoliosis, your posture will be curved due to that. There are different types of scoliosis can happen to patients, but the causes are not still known. The common symptom of scoliosis is the curvature of the spine. The reason is mostly unknown, but scoliosis happens to girls than boys. Mainly, girls of 9 to 15 suffer from this health issues. If it is in family history, the risk only increases. There are different means of scoliosis treatment in India, like CT scans, MRI, X-rays and so on. But, the fact is it is non-curable. Medicines can only lessen up the symptoms.
Reasons for Scoliosis
According to a research, it has been proved that scoliosis happens 2% of girls while the percentage for boys is only 0.5%. The root cause of scoliosis is still unknown, but depending on the age of the patient, scoliosis has different names-
- If it happens to a kid, lesser than 3 years of age, it is known as infantile idiopathic scoliosis.
- If scoliosis develops between 3 to 10 years of age, it is called juvenile idiopathic scoliosis.
- If scoliosis happens to the teenagers, from 10 to 18 years, it is known as adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.
Usually, more than 80% of people have idiopathic scoliosis and the maximum cases are seen among the adolescent girls. Such types of scoliosis attack their thoracic spine and cause pain. The specific names of scoliosis are-
- Kyphoscoliosis: It affects the lateral and outward spinal curvature
- Rotoscoliosis: Affects the curvature of the vertebral column turned on its axis
- Dextroscoliosis: Affects the curvature of the right side of the spine
- Thoracolumbar: Affects the curvature, connected to the lumber as well as the thoracic region of the spine
- Levoconvex: Affects the curvature of the left side of the spine
Symptoms of Scoliosis
The most common symptom of scoliosis is an unusual curve at the spine. Initially, this may not be noticed and can only be checked while doing a routine check-up by a doctor at childhood. As the deformity grows so slowly, it is often being overlooked until the posture is changed and it becomes a huge problem. But, if parents are careful, they may notice the unevenness of chest, dresses going loose fitted or one leg is shorter than the other while making your kid wear pants. If your child has scoliosis, his head would be leaned on a side and maybe one shoulder or hip becomes bigger than the other. When scoliosis becomes more severe, it damages the alignment of heart and lungs and prevents their work.
Actually, there is no permanent cure for scoliosis. Still, the pain can be manageable by the medicines doctors prescribe. Also, you should make your kids get habituated with the exercises that may keep her well for days.