Stretch marks are common after pregnancy. You will have fine lines mostly in areas where the fat is accumulated such as breast, hips, abdomen, tummy and thighs. They might develop because of hormonal changes in these areas. Stretch marks can get lighter with time but will not disappear completely. Though you might not get rid of them by using natural remedies the impact will get minimized. This article will provide you with the home remedies to remove the stretch marks and if you are not willing to use home remedies then you can easily consult your gynecologist which will offer you the permanent treatment for stretch marks.
Home remedies to remove the pregnancy scars
There are many effective remedies to reduce the stretch marks after the pregnancy and these are given below:
- Oil treatment: Massaging your skin with oils will make your skin smooth and it will help to reduce the stretch marks. Some of the popular oils include:
Olive oil: Olive oil exfoliates your skin. It also improves blood circulation and is able to remove the stretch marks to a great extent.
- Take some oil in your palms and massage the area
- Let the oil remain for 30 minutes so that the oil is absorbed into the skin
- Take a bath after the massage is done
- Though it’s a time taking process, it will provide you with results if you follow this tip regularly
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera promotes healing and it soothes your skin. You should use fresh gel rather than which is available in the market.
- You should rub it directly over the skin, leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water. You can apply to the affected areas.
- You can prepare a mixture of one-fourth of a cup of aloe vera gel with oil from capsules like vitamin A capsules. Apply this twice a day.
- Honey: Honey has antiseptic properties that help to reduce the stretch marks.
- Take a small cloth and apply honey on it
- Place the cloth on the affected area and let it remain until it turns dry
- You should rinse it with warm water
- Egg white: Egg white is rich in protein, which helps to rejuvenate the skin and it will make it look fresh.
- Take 2 egg whites
- Clean the affected area with the help of water and apply a thick layer of egg white on the affected area
- Let it dry and rinse it with cold water
- Apply some olive oil to keep the skin supple
- Repeat it every day for atleast two weeks
- Sugar: Sugar is also a good remedy for stretch marks. It’s able to exfoliate your dead skin and your stretch marks will become lighter.
- Take one tablespoon of sugar and mix it with some almond oil and some drops of lemon juice
- Use this as a scrub before you go to the shower
- Do this for a whole month
- Lemon juice: The acidic property of lemon juice will work to heal the stretch marks.
- Rub fresh lemon juice on the affected area
- Leave this about for 10 minutes, so that the juice sinks in your skin
- Rinse off using the warm water
- Apply daily to get good results
- Water: The skin should be well-hydrated to reduce the stretch marks and skin conditions. You should consume 10-12 glasses of water daily to keep the skin hydrated and it also protects from toxins. You should try avoiding tea, coffee and soda.
What are the medical treatments to remove the stretch marks after pregnancy?
Here are some treatment options if you are tired of home remedies. However, some of these can pose complications.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are referred to as derma peeling which uses a chemical solution on the stretch marks. When this is applied to the skin, the blistered skin is later peeled off for the formation of a new skin layer.
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy is a common treatment for stretch marks. This works on both older and new scars. This involves removing, breaking down of the skin to enhance cell production. The two options are pulse-dyed laser and fractional non-ablative laser therapies, both of which remove the stretch marks. This will remove the stretch marks permanently but they are costly.
Which of the above methods worked for your stretch marks removal? Do share in the comment section.
Dr. Garima Sawhney
Gynaecologist & Obstetrician, trained in Cosmetic & Aesthetic Gynaecology (ESAG), Specialist in Minimal Access Surgery