Monitoring the level of blood glucose in children with diabetes is imperative. This can help parents better manage their child’s lifestyle and diet.
The instrument that measures blood glucose levels is known as a glucometer. A strip of glucose paper that measures the blood glucose concentration is also termed as a glucometer.
If you are seeking to buy a glucometer online, make sure to keep certain factors in mind.
- Cost: Browse around for a glucometer online before settling on one. There are budget models as well.
- Ease of Use: Check how easy it is to use the glucometer. Since you will have to check the blood glucose levels often, it is necessary that the glucometer is extremely easy to use.
- Maintenance: Is it hard to maintain the glucometer? Do you need to buy anything else to maintain the glucometer? Make sure you explore your options well.
- Special Features: What special features does the glucometer have? If you buy your glucometer online, you should be able to easily compare the features with other models.
- Information Storage and Retrieval: Does your glucometer store information? Since you need to check the fluctuations over time, it is necessary that the glucometer should have some method of storage and a way you or your doctor can see that information.
- Support: Does the glucometer’s manufacturer offer any support if it does not work as intended? Make sure you verify that before you purchase a glucometer online.
Some other factors to be kept in mind especially for children.
- Other options: You may want to ask your doctor about an option that does not involve pricking the finger as most children are afraid of needles. Some advanced technology is attempting to make this procedure painless so be sure to read up on that.
- Fast: Buy a glucometer that gives instant and accurate results and does not require you to prick your child’s finger again.
- Child-friendly: Look for a child-friendly design that reassures children instead of a device that looks scary. Multicoloured strips are a great idea to distract children.
- Compact: As a parent, look for a glucometer that is small and compact so that you can carry it with you on the go.
Based on these factors, here are 3 of the best glucometers available for children:
- Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucometer Kit
This is the best glucometer for children as it is small and compact which means parents can carry it around. The Accu-Chek glucometer also gives results in 5 seconds. It comes with 10 strips and has the capability to transfer readings to various devices such as laptops, tablets, PCs via a Micro USB port.
- One Touch Select Simple Glucometer
This is a low-priced glucometer but there is no compromise made on its quality. It is said to be the thinnest glucometer. The test strips for this glucometer are priced much lower than other brands.
- Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer
This glucometer is a favourite with children because of its 25 multi-coloured strips. This model is also a hit with parents because of its ergonomic design, great information storage and retrieval.
Having a small and compact glucometer allows parents to monitor their child’s glucose levels any time anywhere. It can seem very frightening for a child to have their fingers pricked so it is important that parents explain each and every step to their child. Multi-coloured strips like Dr. Morepen’s glucometer can also help to distract the child while the testing is done. Make sure only to buy a glucometer that comes with a proper information storage and retrieval system that helps you track the results of your child’s blood glucose levels.
If you are interested in getting your child tested at home, try Portea’s world-class medical service that will send experts to test and deliver the reports.